2008-07-18

The Customer is Not Always Right

From Tech Hell

Me: “Can I help you?”

Caller: “My car won’t start.”

Me: “Excuse me?”

Caller: “My car won’t start. It ran fine earlier but since I’ve visited your site it won’t turn over.”

Me: “Uh… is your computer attached to your car? Draining the battery?”

Caller: “No, the computer is in the house.”

Me: “I’m sorry, but I don’t see how visiting a web site, let alone ours, could affect the operation of your car.”

Caller: “I thought this was tech support?”

Me: “That’s correct. We are not car mechanics, however.”

Caller: “Look, I hear about web sites hacking into people’s lives all the time. I see no reason why they couldn’t hack cars or anything else they wanted.”

Me: “Are you kidding?”

Caller: “No! My car worked fine earlier! I went to your site and now it won’t start. Why are you hacking me?!”

Me: “We aren’t. You don’t have a clue what you’re talking about.”

Caller: ”F*** YOU! GET OUT OF MY CAR, YOU–”

Me: *click*
To read more stories of customer idiocy, click here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We also get calls to fix the coffeemaker and change lightbulbs, then an angry stream of expletives when they find out the coffee vendor and Facilities Management handle those tasks.

"But you're tech support!"

"Yeah. Call us when something technical needs supported. Oh, and be a dear. Run downstairs to Starbucks for me, will you? Our coffeemaker's broken."

Jen Jordan said...

I don't know how your sanity is still intact with that kind of job.

Ah.

Perhaps it isn't.