2006-11-17

"I went flying in there. I got shoved in my seat I hit my head. I bruised up my knee pretty bad."

Does anyone else find the hoopla (joyous at getting to use that word) surrounding the release of latest Sony Playstation to be both amusing and sad?

"I thought about going home to shower first because I haven'’t showered in three days, but I think I'’m just going to get another energy drink, log on and get started," said Nathaniel Lord, a recent graduate of California Institute of the Arts.

Is anyone surprised that, yet again, there is a "shortage"?

Do you find it ironic that Sony may be losing money despite some units being sold for $600-$700 a piece?

Can you think of any thing worth standing in a long line, risking your life for?

UPDATE: Police use pepperspray on crazy crowd in Virginia.

ANOTHER UPDATE: Big ass mob rushes Orlando Mall

YET ANOTHER UPDATE: Escaped prisoner apprehended in line for PS3 at Best Buy.

WELL OF COURSE AN UPDATE: "While the rest of America's working families are waiting patiently in line, Senator Edwards wants to cut to the front."

5 comments:

Patrick Shawn Bagley said...

There were 10 people camped out for two days at the Super Wal-Mart in a town near mine. All 10 said they were going to sell their new toy on e-bay and expected to get $2,500 to $4,000 each. One person was offered $800 to give up his place in line, and he refused. Huh??? The story was front-page news (above the fold) in our daily newspaper. Just shoot me now.

The last video game system I owned was an Atari in 1982, and I finally took it to the dump about 8 years ago. I'm in no rush to upgrade.

Stephen D. Rogers said...

"Can you think of any thing worth standing in a long line, risking your life for?"

A book contract. :)

Patrick Shawn Bagley said...

I'm with Stephen. Not only would I risk my own life for a book contract, but I'd also happily risk the lives of innocent bystanders for said contract.

Ellen Clair Lamb said...

I would stand in line for plasma, food or water if my children needed those things... and I might -- I say, MIGHT -- stand in line to buy a personal jet-pack, if only a limited number were ever going to be available.

Michael said...

I wouldn't risk my life for a book contract. Fuck that, they should be risking their lives to make me sign one.

I've decided to perversely reverse my views on pretty much everything.

Anyhow, there was very little controversy outside my store when the PS3s went on sale yesterday morning, but then my staff were courteous and informative to the people waiting, resulting in the thing going off without a hitch. One wonders how much of this is genuine news, and how much marketing.