2007-06-12

"I won't go soft on you..."

And James Ellroy keeps his promises...


Noir is dead for me because historically, I think it's a simple view. I've taken it as far as it can go. I think I've expanded on it a great deal, taken it further than any other American novelist.

Raymond Chandler is not a guy that I admire any more. I think his books are softheaded and full of bad writing.

Anybody who doesn't know that politics is crime has got a few screws loose.

I am the most well-adjusted human being I know. I started out this investigation as a very happy man with a great career. I've got the life people dream about: I am rich, I am famous, I've got a fabulous marriage to an absolutely, spell-bindingly brilliant woman.

I feel very calm and poised underneath it all, but no less passionate or committed to the work. I won't go soft on you, but I feel calm inside.*

*mentioned in this BEATRICE Interview, 1996

3 comments:

Ellen Clair Lamb said...

How long ago did he say this?

Steven said...

"How long ago did he say this?"

And what was he on?

Anonymous said...

We may need to have him committed.