2006-08-27

"I think that today if Ramses could talk, he would say 'Thank you for moving me,' "

Egyptian engineers have taken the mighty 3200-year-old statue of Pharaoh Ramses II, that had suffered from exhaust fumes and other modern day grossness, from it's original home in of Ramses Square in Cairo, where it had lived since the 1950's, to a spot near the Great Pyramids. There is will be restored to it's original splendor.

There, a Great Museum will be built that will also give a home to the restless body of King Tut and "many other treasures."

Chief of Antiquities Zahi Hawass made the comment that is the title of this post.

I laughed when I read it.

Ramses, in my mind, is Yul Brynner in the TEN COMMANDMENTS. Mix that with the fact that the real Ramses was a warrior who ruled for 67 years, a hell of a long time for a pharaoh, my thinking is that he would say something more like:

"Do not touch me! Remove this cage from my likeness! I am Pharoah. I am a god! Move the cars and peasants. I do not ride in a flat bed! A curse on you!"

Then he would swing one leg over the other, turn away and rest his pensive head on his majestic hand.

No comments: