2005-08-15

They Thought You'd Say That

Unlikely phrases from real phrasebooks.

Dutch:

I'm going to prescribe some suppositories.
Ik geef u een recept voor zetpillen.

Welsh:

She has excellent breasts.
Mae bronnau ardderchog da hi.

Gaelic:

Hand me over those moccasins. -- They will not help you much, they are like a singed cat.
Sìn a nall na cuaranan sin. -- Cha mhór is fheairrde thu iad, tha iad coltach ri cat air a dhathadh.

Portuguese:

Must I swallow them whole?
Devo engoli-los inteiros?

3 comments:

Russel said...

I used to have a friend who knew only one phrase in German. Sadly I don't know the German, but the translation "I am all by myself, under the table, playing with my feet"

Useful, no?

Wayne Smallman said...

It's funny, but I've just come back from a Greek island for a week, and the pamphlet that the travel operator supplied had a few common phrases, and low & behold, one of these 'useful' phrases happens to be: how much are your melons?

Can't remember the Greek translation, but still an odd'n...

Jen Jordan said...

I am deeply saddened that neither of you have the transaltions handy.

Pouting...