2005-08-30

Til Tuesday

Wednesday will find me heading for Bouchercon in Chicago, thusly no new posts.

I've been disinclined to posting as I get ready and more so after the hurricane hit. The coverage has been devastating. Listening to the reporters as their voices broke, knowing the people that suffer the most are the poor people that had no choice but to remain as lack of transportation and inability to rent a hotel room out of town kept them in place.

Husbands held on to their children as their wives were swept away.

The levees could still break.

The only water is polluted.

There is fire everywhere.

This is not the mood I'd hoped to be in as I left for this convention. Beyond low key. Last night I wept as I watched and listened. Tomorrow I will be amidst throngs of people cheerful, drinking, loud. Not sure how I'll fair.

1 comment:

Graham Powell said...

The Lake Ponchatrain levees have now failed. New Orleans is filling up like a clogged drain.