2006-06-14

Compost them or eat them, just make sure you keep them.

Some mamma's are following a new trend; keeping their placentas after birth. The placenta is, in essence, an ephemeral vascular organ that connects a growing mammalian fetus to its mother'’s uterus.

"Since the placenta is extremely full of nutrients and hormones, lots of times a mother will cook it up and eat it reabsorb the nutrients," Salem midwife Leather Dupris of MoonDragon Birthing Service said. "“I've never tried it, but I guess it tastes like liver."

Maternity web sites feature recipes ranging from roast placenta to a placenta smoothie. Seriously! I found one of them! Even onlasagnaasagna! Here it is: LINK!

Dupris retrieved her grandson's placenta from the hospital after he was born. It resides in a solution of alcohol next to the mayonnaise in her refrigerator.

Her grandson is now 15 years old.

Ew.

"“Personally, I don'’t understand the squeamishness. I think it'’s a fascinating little thing," she said. "“I used to have placentas in my freezer all the time. My husband at the time was a little leery about grabbing anything out of there."

2 comments:

Patrick Shawn Bagley said...

Or serve them on Triscuits after the christening. What kind of wine goes best with placenta?

Jen Jordan said...

A dry merlot would be my guess.

How about placenta stuffed tomatoes?