2005-04-08

C is for Cookie. But, that's not good enough for anybody anymore.

That's right. The Cookie Monster is going on a health and the last vestiges of childhood have been taken off the shelf, put in a box and sent off to charity.

An unnamed AP reporter tracks down the story behind the fall of a junk food hero and kid icon, Mr. Cookie Monster.

"First PBS announced that "Sesame Street" would kick off its 35th season this week with a multiyear story arc about healthy habits. No problem there; childhood obesity rates are soaring. Then I learned of changes that turned my "Sesame Street" world upside-down.

My beloved blue, furry monster -- who sang "C is for cookie, that's good enough for me" -- is now advocating eating healthy. There's even a new song -- "A Cookie Is a Sometimes Food," where Cookie Monster learns there are "anytime" foods and "sometimes" foods.

"Sacrilege!" I cried. "That's akin to Oscar the Grouch being nice and clean." (Co-workers gave me strange looks. But I didn't care.)

Being a journalist, I did the only thing I knew how to do. I investigated why "Sesame Street" gave Cookie Monster a health makeover."


Hoots the Owl explains the benefits of fruits and vegetables to Cookie Monster.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Chick, Oscar has been nice for years, but only to Slimy the worm.