2005-07-18

Wordsmiths Congregate

To celebrate their favorite words. Care to add to the list?

Examples:

Remacadamize.

My favorite word is remacadamize. Why? Because it has parts from four different languages:

"re" from Latin
"mac" from Gaelic
"adam" from Aramaic(?)
"ize" from Greek.

Frank Wagner

Conundrum.

I love this word for its connotation. It validates my emotions when I have a small problem by making the problem sound important and worthy of my attention to it, and yet the problem is usually easily solved. I also like to use this word when I have a big problem for the same reason. It acknowledges the importance of the problem while reminding me that a solution is close at hand. I use this word with my Writer's Craft class when I ask students to choose, define and defend their favourite word. (That's how we spell "favorite" in Canada, but that's another topic!)

Patti Haygarth, Burlington, Ontario

No comments: