2005-02-04

Communication Breakdown

Finally rid myself of AOL today. And like a neurotic and needy ex-boyfriend, it just didn't want to let me go.

After making it through the automated voice choice system, I reached a live person. Not a person residing in this hemisphere, but a live person.

She argued with me for 20 minutes, trying to get me to keep AOL.

I had to resort to the repeat the same thing over and over until the enemy capitulates tactic (I learned it from an Oprah show ten years ago devoted to child rearing.) It was fun. And the room is filled with monkeys that just flew out of my butt.

"Did you know that AOL offers..."

"I don't like AOL."

"You may not be aware of all of the..."

"I don't like AOL."

"Have you tried our..."

"I don't like AOL."

"I can offer you a month free if you..."

"I don't like AOL."

"Our new keyword search..."

muttering... then "I ... don't.... like... AOL."

Keep going like this for ten minutes. Rinse, and repeat.

4 comments:

Just Somebody said...

This is just the start - you now have the fun of weeding it out of your PC when you try to uninstall it.

If it still uses the same tricks it has done for a good while it'll have renamed some system files and installed it's own versions when being installed.

When you remove it it leaves the newer versions, leaving you to scour the web for "How Do I Get Shot of this Bloody Thing ?" websites.

Good hunting !

Jen Jordan said...

Of course I had nothing better to do this weekend than look through every hidden file in my computer.

Just Somebody said...

That's just part of the fun of AOL !!

Consider it bonus fun to add to the phone call.

(What version is/was it and I'll point you in the right direction....)

Anonymous said...

I am Sam Sam I am. Do you like green eggs an ham. I do not like them Sam I am.