2004-11-24

Great Buddha Boogers

Buddhist priests at Todaiji Temple, which resides in the capital of Nara, have taken legal steps towards blocking the sale of a popular sweet. This sweet, sold by Yamamoto Bussan, a Japanese candy company, is known as “snot from the nose of the Great Buddha” or "Great Buddha Boogers".
They horrified priests have stopped the name from being trademarked but not from being sold to millions of tourists who visit the Great Buddha in Nara.

Yamamoto Bussan claims the recession creates a needs for product names with a strong impact. A spokesman said some employees had doubts about the name, so it was decided to attach the ultra-polite suffix sama to Buddha's name. The picture on the packaging rather negates the effect of this.


Some may be familiar with other irreverent items featuring the Buddha that wouldn't exactly be called proper by the orange robed holy men. And don't click on that link unless you're over eighteen, kids.




The last photo is from the Buddha Bar.

5 comments:

John Rickards said...

Buddha has his own bar?

Dammit! Where do I sign up for my orange robe?

Jen Jordan said...

I take it you haven't looked at the irreverent link, oh chapped one.

John Rickards said...

I saw it - and I've seen it, or something like it, before. I just couldn't think of anything I could add that would make it any funnier than it was...

Jen Jordan said...

Om... Om... Omigod!

Jen Jordan said...

I've always wondered about the Magic Banana, myself.