2004-11-19

Tra-La-Laaaa!


My introduction to Captain Underpants happened while I stood in a bookstore with a friend. We stood yapping with the woman that ran the Children's Section when what did I spy out of my little eye but this bald headed guy wearing tighty-whities and a red cape. I was entranced by his beanie butt and ferociously happy expression. My friend, it seems, was a huge fan and had Captain Underpants perched on his monitor when he wrote. Within the week, I'd read my first book, CAPTAIN UNDERPANTS and the WRATH of the WICKED WEDGIE WOMAN. I was hooked and hooked bad. And once again, I am not the only one. Fans of Dav Pilkey's work, begun as a way to combat AD/HD in children learning to read, show their appreciation as much, and as openly, as possible.



Dav, having overcome ADD himself, is a hero to many and a role model for the above. From the bio on his site, he describes how Captain Underpants came to be:

"I used to staple sheets of paper together and make my own books. I invented a whole bunch of super heroes, including 'The Amazing Captain Underpants,' who flew around the city in his underwear giving wedgies to all the bad guys. Everybody in my class thought these comic books were really funny, except for one person - my teacher! I remember one teacher who used to rip up my books and tell me I'd better start taking life more seriously, because I couldn't spend the rest of my days making silly books. Fortunately, I wasn't a very good listener." — Dav Pilkey

If you want laffs, action and love Flip-o-rama fight scenes, the you've got a little Captain in you. I heartily recommend CAPTAIN UNDERPANT and the PERILOUS PLOTS of PROFESSOR POOPYPANTS. But any will doo doo...

2 comments:

John Rickards said...

The irony is that in the UK, I'm barred from dressing in just such a manner in certain bookstores, no matter how much I claim to be encouraging children to read.

Even if all they actually learn to read, and repeatedly ask for in court, are the words "restraining order".

Anonymous said...

John, one must be a superhero to appear in public dressed in that manner. Go home and play with the goats and stop maligning Captain Underpants!

If not, I'm putting you on permanet detention for the rest of the school year! And, you'll be forced to eat cafeteria food!