2004-11-25

Tears of an Icon Stolen by Worshipful Woman

Woman stole holy tear

Romanian police launched an investigation after a priest complained a tear which appeared on a painting of the Virgin Mary had been stolen.

And officers managed to find the culprit - a woman who believed her problems would go away if she had the miraculous tear.

The 62-year-old woman was one of hundreds of worshippers attracted to the church, in Parcovaci village, Iasi county, after hearing about the tear.

She told National newspaper: "I thought that if I took this tear drop at home all my troubles would disappear.

"I went to the icon, I prayed and then tried to steal the tear with my lips while kissing it. But I couldn't so I used a tissue to wipe the tear and take it with me."

Inspector Madalin Taranu said: "We cannot speak of breaking the law in this case and the woman can't be charged for anything. But one thing is for sure: it's the first case of this kind in our history."

The tissue with the holy tear was returned to the church and placed near the painting.

No comments: