2004-11-21

Spinach = Anti-aging Miracle?



How did I miss this? The 75th birthday of my brother Jon's biggest childhood hero. He would sing:

I'm Popeye the sailor man!
I'm Popeye the sailor man!
I'm strong to the finich,
'Cause I eats me spinach.
I'm Popeye the sailor man.

I'm one tough gazooka
Which hates all palookas
What ain't on the up and square.
I biffs and I boffs them
And always outroughs 'em
But none of 'em gets nowhere.

If anyone's dasses to risk me fisks
It's "Bop!" and it's "Wham", understand?
So keep good behav'or,
That's your one lifesaver
With Popeye the sailor man.

This explains a lot about Jon's mentality, doesn't it?

The Museum of Television and Radio in New York on November 13, 2004. The Museum unveiled a retrospective of Popeye, to celebrate his 75th birthday this year, which includes rarities, collectibles and other pieces from throughout the career of Popeye right up to the present. The exhibit is open to the public. Picture taken November 13, 2004.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I likes me some spinach.
What can I say? I yam what I yam...


Jon

John Schramm said...

What can you say about a man who would fight Bluto for Olive Oyl?

/JTS

I liked Popeye as a child, too, but Felix the Cat was my first cartoon hero. And I still don't like spinach.

Jen Jordan said...

Oddly, Jon was a huge Felix fan as well! That may explain his crafty nature although he has yet to reveal any 'bag of tricks'.

Anonymous said...

Actually Felix was OK, I really liked Speed Racer. I wanted to be Racer X.( who un benown (sp) to Speed is secretly his older brother Rex)

Jon

Ray Banks said...

I'm sure my mum thought I was a big Felix the Cat fan, especially after she brought home that one video for me when I was wee. Unfortunately, Felix looks a little bit like Fritz on the box...

I suppose it explains a lot.