It is said that there are as many recipes for this Korean dish as there are Koreans.
And it's popularity is growing. Soon, it will reach astral levels when it's packed into the provisions for astronauts.
"Koreans can't go anywhere without kimchi," said Byun Myung-woo, head of a team of scientists who developed a specially sterilized form of kimchi for astronauts.
The idea came about because taste and smell are greatly diminished in low-gravity conditions, giving astronauts a preference for strongly spiced foods. And astronauts often suffer from digestive problems.
"The kimchi will prevent constipation and enhance their digestive functions," Byun said.
Although many extole the health benefits, some say there is a darker side to this fermented pepper laden cabbage wonder meal.
But nothing can touch the love Koreans have for this food. Why, there's even a Kimchi Museum in Seoul!
Did you know that "in deep kimchi," is a euphemism for "in deep trouble?"
Look for a great kimchi recipe here.
* 1 head nappa cabbage
* 1/2 onion, thin sliced
* 1/4 carrot, thin julienne
* 1/4 radish, thin julienne
* 4 green onions, cut into 2 inches
* 2 tbsp minced garlic
* 1 tsp minced ginger
* 1/2 cup go choo ga roo (Korean chili powder)
* 2 tsp salt
* 1 tbsp sugar
* 1/2 cup sea salt (or any coarse salt)
* 1 cup water
* 1/4 cup jeot gal (Korean fish sauce)
* 1/3 cup water
* 1 tbsp flour
1. Quarter the nappa cabbage, wash and drain.
2. Mix 1/2 cup sea salt (or any coarse salt) and 1 cup water.
3. Put cabbages in a salted water and take out one at a time to get salt down.
4. In a container, add cabbages and pour salted water, set aside for at least 6-8 hours. (Overnight will be great.)
5. The cabbage should be soft enough to bend.
6. Wash, drain well.
7. In a small pan, add 1/3 cup water and 1 tbsp flour, mix well.
8. Put on a medium heat, stir with a whisk constantly until boils, turn off the heat, cool slightly.
9. To the flour mixture, add 1/2 cup go choo ga roo (Korean chili powder), 2 tsp salt, 1 tbsp sugar, 1/4 cup jeot gal (Korean fish sauce), 2 tbsp minced garlic, and 1 tsp minced ginger.
10. Mix in vegetables to the flour and chili powder mixture.
11. Take one cabbage, stuff in above mixture to an every layer. Try to fold in half
12. With 2 outer leaves, wrap the whole thing securely.
13. Put it in a air tight container.
14. Let it sit on a kitchen counter for overnight.
15. Put in a refrigerator for 2-3 days.
16. Serve with rice.