2004-12-12

I Had One. Didn't you?

It is so prevalent that 65% of children have had one by the time they've reached seven.Imaginary friends, that is. This according to a new study by University of Washington and University of Oregon psychologists.

"This finding is fascinating in that it goes against so many theories of middle childhood, such as those proposed by Sigmund Freud and Jean Piaget. Having an imaginary companion is normal for school-age children," said Stephanie Carlson, a UW assistant psychology professor.

Marjorie Taylor, a psychology professor at the University of Oregon, and Carlson are the lead authors of the study published in the current issue of the journal Developmental Psychology

Imaginary companions described by the children came in a fantastic variety of guises, including invisible boys and girls, a squirrel, a panther, a dog, a seven-inch-tall elephant and a "100-year-old" G.I. Joe doll. While 52% of the imaginary companions that preschoolers played with were based on props such as special toys, 67% of those created by school-age children were invisible, according to Carlson.

The study also showed that:

* While preschool girls were more likely to have an imaginary companion, by age 7 boys were just as likely as girls to have one.

* 27 percent of the children described an imaginary friend that their parents did not know about.

* 57 percent of the imaginary companions of school-age youngsters were humans and 41 percent were animals. One companion was a human capable of transforming herself into any animal the child wanted.

* Not all imaginary companions are friendly. A number were quite uncontrollable and some were a nuisance.

I had my own imaginary friend, Jennifer Fields, from about the age of 5 until 7, when we moved away from where I decided she lived. She was invisible to everyone but me and I liked it that way. In a house full of people, it was good to have something that was all mine. Physically I based her on a painting, Girl with Watering Can, by Pierre-Auguste Renoir. I sang songs with her (we spent a lot of time on the swing set out back, singing to the moon) and she held my hand when I had nightmares. And that makes me normal.

When we moved, I was overcome with a fear of bigfoot that stayed with me until my twenties. I'll save that for another time. I'm not sure what that makes me.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

My imaginary friend was the Michellin Man. I'm a brand whore from way back.

Jen Jordan said...

You are so making that up, Bryon!

Get it?

Making it up?

Yep.

Anonymous said...

"I'm not sure what that makes me."

When you were a kid it made you an easy target....

as I got older i realised you were just creative.

JOon

Anonymous said...

What if you still have imaginary friends. She said speaking of no one in particular. Does that make you schizphrenic, because all my friends asure me I ok realy.

John Rickards said...

Hey, don't knock bigfoot. He and I go bowling together. We have team jackets and everything. It's great! Sometimes we'll go out for nachos or something afterwards, but they make him fart.


...


No, I never had an imaginary friend. I had too many real ones. They were all rockstars and stuff and we'd hang out on this boat in the Caribbean and be totally cool. And this one time we got attacked by pirates and they were firing angry bears, which were on fire!

But we totally kicked their asses, even though they were pirates. And then we all had beer and celebrated. It was so cool.


Uhm... sorry, what was I saying?

Jen Jordan said...

Again I find myself the innocent mallard amongst total loons.

Hee hee hee...

Matt said...

My imaginary friend wrote an extensive blog.