2004-12-16

Operating System Not Found

That's what I got for five hours yesterday when I turned on my computer. I went into resuscitation mode. I gave my computer, Mathilda, CPR and had to shock her 6 times. She rested overnight and is still with us this morning. But she's not feeling well at all.

Mathilda is.... old.

She's running on an ancient motherboard and (gasp!) a Pentium II chip. Yes, that old.

Her valiant efforts to stay with me are noted and I am grateful. But I know she and I are at the end of a long run. I've written a lot of stories and most of a book with her. I've edited with her. And now I've blogged with her. If her motherboard were not configured so irksomely, I would just keep rebuilding her. But she is not terribly 'compatible' with updating. She's an old-fashioned girl and wants to remain so. I, on the other hand, am enchanted by future possibilities. I'm tempted to keep her shell and rebuild from scratch within the empty tower. I love her that much...

2 comments:

Matt said...

I appreciate getting lots of use of a computer (and cars for that matter). Just make sure you are consistent and thorough with backing up files. And multiple backups aren't a bad idea. I try to make sure that if my computer completely crashed that I wouldn't lose anything that I value.

Mathilda will be in my prayers.

John Schramm said...

I still have my first computer, which is Windows98, and a measley 48MB of RAM. I don't go online with it (it has a modem), and I don't do any writing on it. The only thing I use it for is playing the first Prince of Persia game, which won't run on XP because it's actually DOS based. Also I have been too busy and too lazy to transfer old files and pictures and stuff.

May Mathilda be well. Sounds like she's had lots of love.