2005-01-07

‘Oh God, they let me publish that shit?’

Quote of the month (even though it's from a 2003 interview):
"You know, as an artist, it’'s not my job to fit in; it’s not my job to belong. I’'m not a social worker; I’'m not a therapist. It'’s my job to beat the shit out of the world. I’'m not here to make people feel good."

- Sherman Alexie
(interview with
Robert Capriccioso from Identity Theory who did the best interview with Alexie I've read)

And more lifts, just cause we can all relate:
RC: Do you cringe when you see your own work?

SA: Oh, yeah, all of it—; poems, stories, everything. It’'s going, ‘'Oh God, they let me publish that shit?'’

RC: You have huge fans now; how has this success changed you?

SA: The best thing? When I’'m in a store and there'’s a book I want, I can always buy it. I never have to think about whether or not I can afford the book. I can buy a book a day, two books a day, three books a day, if I want. You talk about luxury, privilege? For me that’'s privilege, I don'’t give a shit about driving a great car, living in a mansion. I can buy three books a day.

RC: You recognize that you are famous now, you have a lot of fans, but that will never mean you are a mainstream artist?

SA: Oh no! I’'m not Jennifer Lopez.

RC: Will you ever be “Jennifer Lopez?”

SA: If I keep eating fry bread, maybe. (big laugh) Maybe my ass will get that big. But I doubt it.

Before I just lift the whole thing, please just go read it.

No comments: