2005-01-02

For your Listening Pleasure

I can't recommend enough... the Red Elvises.

Yes, Kick Ass Rokenrol from Siberia!


I saw them for the first time last year and they have one of the best damn stage shows you'll ever see. Walk into the venue of the night, depressed, feet dragging, eyes red with weeping at the horrors of the world and those boys will soon have you belly dancing, singing and waving your arms spastically in the air.
As they will tell you, they're better than sex.

The Red Elvises were founded in 1995 by two Russian political refugees, singer/songwriter Igor Yuzov and actor/bass-balalaika player Oleg Bernov in Los Angeles, California. Igor and Oleg met during Russia’'s Peace Walk and subsequently played together in a Russian folk-rock band called Limpopo. Believing that one can'’t go wrong with Elvis "The King" Presley as an inspiration and with "red" being not only Oleg’s favorite color but the national color of their native country, the band name Red Elvises was created. Actually, it is widely believed that Igor came up with the "Red Elvises" name by seeing Elvis come to him in a dream, wearing a red dress! Igor will neither confirm nor deny the truth of that rumor.

I was in an asinine mood when I saw them and when Igor approached and asked how I was, I said in my snarkiest assgirl tone that their show was terrible and I wanted my money back. He whipped five bucks out of his pocket (tight, red pants sans cameltoe) and apologized. "Maybe the next song will help," he said, concerned and damn sincere. From 2001's Freakshow, they played
Sex in Paradise. I was deeply converted and quite repentant. My Love Is Killing Me has become a perennial Jen favorite.

Know now and except it later, the Red Elvises
: Their infectious rock will get in your blood, lower your inhibitions, kick the shit out of your darker then Trent mood and force you to dance.
Listen and love the boys from Siberia.

No comments: