2005-01-07

Greeter Sacked over Bag Photo

Dean L. Wooten, 65, was a Wal-Mart greeter that decided to play show and tell.

Wooten was accused of greeting customers with a computer-generated photo of himself in which he appeared to be naked except for a carefully placed Wal-Mart bag. He then told customers that Wal-Mart was cutting costs and the sack was the company's new uniform. I've the pic but damned if I'm too grossed out to post it. It you really want me to, I will. But only if you really want me to. I mean really.

A supervisor where Wooten had worked for seven years told him to keep the sack to himself after customers complained. Five days later he was fired after displaying the photo again.

Wooten's application for unemployment compensation was then summarily rejected by an administrative law judge. The judge said "a reasonable person would know the act of showing a naked body wearing a Wal-Mart sack would not be good for the employer's business."

Wooten claims not see the harm in the photo. A friend spliced a picture of Wooten's head onto a shot of another man's body and when Wooten saw it, "I pretty near died laughing."

2 comments:

Ray Banks said...

Wait, that's an Asda bag...

Hold on. Asda are Wal-Mart? IT'S A CONSPIRACY! RUN FOR THE HILLS! THEY'RE TRYING TO MAKE US SHOP!

Michael said...

They have a greeter at my local Tesco that looks exactly like Harvey Keitel. A little off-topic, but I felt I had to share.