2005-01-09

Relief

I took down the Amazon ad for American Red Cross relief for tsunami victims. I frankly don't think they are the best organization for the task at hand. After everything I've read and heard, Doctors Without Borders and UNICEF , because they are helping the children left open to predation, are the charities that seem most effective. But certainly make your own decision.

I've stopped watching coverage. Seeing people swept away or weeping at the news that someone they love has died is more than I can take. The courage of those that are rebuilding from the literal pieces of their lives leaves me in awe. If I lost so much, I don't know if I'd want to survive. I'm not sure if I could be that brave and strong. But these people protect the little they have and work to help others.

This situation has displayed the best and the worst that humans can be. I hope that, for once, the best part of us will win.

No comments: